KINGSTON , Jamaica – Suzette Morais broke down in tears when her three-year-old son heard clearly for the first time last Tuesday.
Morais believes her son, Clayon Elvin Jr, was born with limited hearing because of the stress-inducing tragedy she battled while pregnant with him.
In 2015, three of her six children at the time were burnt to death when her mentally ill brother set on fire their home in Hopeful Village, St Andrew.
However, after receiving a hearing aid from the Starkey Hearing Foundation on its annual mission to Jamaica, Clayon started dancing to the music that was played by one of Starkey’s volunteers at the Chinese Benevolent Association auditorium.
“I feel so overwhelmed now seeing him hear properly for the first time. I feel so happy,” said his mother.
“Normally, you have to pitch your voice or you have to touch him, but he normally uses his other senses because he is really smart.”
Morais said she was hopeful that her son’s improved hearing would help her cope with the death of her children five years ago.
Her nine-year-old daughter Abigail Reid, 15-year-old son Leonardo Morris, and 18-year-old son Bebeto Harris died as they slept when the house was doused with gas and set ablaze.
On its annual mission, the Starkey Hearing Foundation provides hearing aids and custom earmolds for qualified patients, It also provides counselling for hearing aid recipients.